Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ponds Cold Cream Rediscovered




The other day I was shopping at Walmart and I saw Ponds cold cream on sale, 2 for $6.95. It made me ask the question, how long has this cream been around? This is a cream I would picture on my grandmother's vanity table.

So I googled the cream, and found out that it was invented in the US by scientist Theron T. Pond in 1846. Given the longevity of this product, it must be tried, tested and true(?). So I bought some to try and I was very impressed by it.

What is it?


Cold cream is an emulsion of fats and water which can be used to clean and soften the skin. Traditionally, cold cream has been used to remove makeup gently at the end of the day, and it can also be used to soften tough skin on the knees and elbows, or to keep skin protected from harsh winter weather.

The concept of cold cream is quite ancient. Credit for the invention is usually given to Galen, a second century Greek physician who developed an emulsion of beeswax, oil, rose petals, and water. The cream was designed to moisturize and condition the face, and to help remove the harsh makeup of the period.

I have been using this cream to:

1. Remove makeup - spread all over the face and scrub with fingers in small circular motions, including the eyes, and wipe off with a warm wash cloth. This leaves the skin soft, moisturized and clean. It removes every trace of makeup, including the waterproof mascara I always use.


2. Moisturize cuticles and hands, elbows, knees and feet, it leaves the skin a little grease, so best to use at night and leave on over night.

You can also mix cold cream with oats and use it as a scrub.

I have already gone through one jar of cold cream. I have been using it religiously to remove makeup every night and it leaves the skin so soft that most of the time I don't even need to apply moisturizer.

Now, everyone's skin is different. I can see this cream being too heavy for someone with oily type skin or acne prone skin, but hey, its only 7 bucks, what do you have to lose if you bought one to try! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment