Sunday, September 5, 2010

HOW TOXIC IS YOUR DAILY SHAMPOO? TOOTHPASTE? LIPSTICK? I've always been a product junkie. There are some beauty products in my bathroom that



Watch this video then read this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfq000AF1i8

I've always been a product junkie. There are some beauty products in my bathroom that I just could not live without.

The other day, my co-worker at my full-time job mentioned that since she had her baby boy, she's been more aware of the safety of various products. She has researched pretty much everything that can affect her and her newborn son, from the high-chairs to baby shampoo.

During her research she came across this youtube video, and since she knew I'm a makeup artist on the side, she thought I would be interested in this video regarding COSMETCIS/BEAUTY/PERSONAL product safety.

After watching this video, I was a little surprised and taken back and we decided to look into this further. We came across this cosmetic safety database called SKIN DEEP.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

This is a website launched by Environmental Working Group in 2004 and it's mission is to use the power of information to protect human health and the environment.

This is an online database that offers a safety guide for cosmetics and personal care products. Their aim is to fill in what the companies and governments leave out. Cosmetic companies are allowed to use almost any ingredient they wish. EWG's scientists built skin Deep to be a one-of-a kind resource that rates the toxicity level of your personal care products.

Of course my friend and I had to look up almost all of the products that we use on a daily basis. My Aussie Shampoo, Tresemme heat tamer, Colgate tooth paste, Lancome sunblock, Dove deoderant, baby cream...

I was shocked by what we discovered. For example, VASELINE INTENSIVE CARE HEALTHY HAND & NAIL REVITALIZING HAND LOTION scored a 10/10. A score of 10 is most hazardous, it contains chemicals like DMDM HYDANTOIN which is a known human immune system toxicant and, interestingly enough, a known human skin toxicant. This example is just one of many that took me by surprise.

I'm not a scientist or a chemist, I'm simply a consumer that wants to know what's in my daily shampoo! Given this website, I'm able to become a more educated consumer and a little more aware about the safety of the personal products that I use every day.

During my search, I've noticed a couple of things:

1. Products that contain artificial fragrances seems to score poorly.

2. Products made for sensitive skin score well.

My co-worker and I also found this store in TORONTO that carries brands that scored VERY WELL (i.e. 1-2) on the database.

http://www.epistachio.com/

They have a store at Yonge & Eg and in Yorkdale. They carry John Masters Organics which scored really well on the database.

I found this website very helpful and I'd like to share it you. Use the information to be a more educated consumer, and protect yourself and those that you love. Use your discretion and choose your personal products safely.

Thanks for reading

Til the Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment